I don’t like the way FIFA selects what countries go into each group, but the Brazil World Cup 2014 draw is over and here is what the groups look like:
- Group A: Brazil, Croatia, Cameroon, Mexico
- Group B: Spain, Netherlands, Chile, Australia
- Group C: Colombia, Greece, Ivory Coast, Japan
- Group D: Uruguay, Costa Rica, England, Italy
- Group E: Switzerland, Ecuador, France, Honduras
- Group F: Argentina, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Iran, Nigeria
- Group G: Germany, Portugal, Ghana, USA
- Group H: Belgium, Algeria, Russia, South Korea
I feel the way this was set up makes for some teams to be nothing more than cannon fodder, making sure only the “strongest” teams make it to the next phase. If they did a real lottery-type draw, some of the strongest teams would lose during the first rounds, but asking for fairness is too much for FIFA.
As for the so called “group of death,” some sports news outlets point out it’s the one where the USA is. However, while the US fell into a group that has two more heavy contenders, I don’t think this can be considered the strongest group. Personally, I think the it’s either groups B or D.
The one team that seemed to be royally screwed is Costa Rica, as it fell into a group with 3 World Cup champions, may the soccer gods have mercy on their souls. On the other hand, Argentina appears to have it relatively easy.
I hope they show gratuitous shots of voluptuous Brazilian babes during the games, this is very important.